A Computer Journal

I don't know about you, but, with the move towards paperless - I have more and more important things going on my computer.  Things with passwords.  But, I'm a simple gal.  So, seeing as how I didn't want to remember a bunch of user ID's and passwords - I'd just use the same one for everything.  Stupid - I know.  Then, I started to hear more and more about identity theft.  It was time to change my computer ways.


If you have a steel-trap mind and can remember 50 different passwords - I envy you.  I, however, do not posess that gift.  So, I had to get creative.




A friend had given me this blank journal.  So, I now keep it by my computer to keep track of all things computer related.




The first pages are where I keep all of my passwords and privacy questions.  It looks something like this;


     * Progressive Insurance
        Log In - xxxxxxxxxxxx (my ID)
        PW - xxxxxxx (my password)
        ? - 1) answer to 1st security question
             2) answer to 2nd security question


I have plenty of space to add more companies and the appropriate info if  I need it.


Also, I have a couple different e-mail accounts (personal and blog).  I have these written inside the front flap along with my husband and my son's e-mail addresses.




A little ways back in my journal I have a section marked with a sticky tab for book recommendations.  Any time I come across a book while browsing or a fellow blogger recommends a book that is on a topic that I am interested in - I write the title and author in this section.  I always leave a space in between so I can make notes later.  Sometimes, I take my journal with me to the library and write down the location and info on it in this space.  I can also make a note when I've read one on my list and whether or not I want to purchase it for myself.  Books I have purchased then get highlighted.




The last section I have in my journal is towards the back.  I have a section for good websites that I wouldn't necessarily read every day and don't want to clutter my bookmark section with.  In the example above, I had written down sites with handmade gift ideas for Christmas - definitely something I don't need to see every day.


The nice thing about a journal like this is that it is totally customizable to whatever information you need to keep you organized during your computer time.  You can also find blank journals really cheap - I picked one up at Goodwill for like thirty-five cents recently.


So, tell me, how do you keep track of all of your computer passwords and information?


Pam


I'm sharing this post at Teach Me Tuesdays.