RUN FOR YOUR LIFE: Time to load!

Report from The New Straits Times dated 21 February 2012 :-

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE: Time to load!

By Zalina Mohd Som
czar-lina@nstp.com.my

It’s the last week of training for her marathon and Zalina Mohd Som is thinking carbs and more carbs

IT’S finally here! It’s the last week of training before I make my way to the Land of the Rising Sun on Thursday evening and run the 42km Tokyo Marathon on Sunday morning.

So what do I look forward to the most this particular week? Carb-loading!

In fact, for all my runs, I’ve always cheered the week before the race as it’s a rare opportunity to carb-load without feeling guilty. This is the time when I pile on the rice and hot and spicy dishes, especially masak lemak cili padi cooked the Negri Sembilan way.

And we very well know eating such rich Malay lauk, especially sambal, without rice is no fun at all.

With rice, I can go for a second, and perhaps third helping if it’s my favourite dish.

But my trainer, Mohd Hoesni Rahmat, warns me that carb-loading starts just two days before the race and that I should maintain my diet until then. So yes, the official loading can only go into full swing on Friday, but since I would already be in Tokyo, I reason, why not start slowly, say, from today?

GO EASY
OK, I promise to go easy. I will have nasi separuh (half portion of rice) with plenty of sambal, grilled fish and vegetables. Then on my take-off day, I will go nasi penuh (full portion) with two smoked catfish cooked in coconut milk with chilli and turmeric at my favourite neighbourhood stall.

On Saturday, if I can’t find anything that tickles my Malay tastebuds (I’m not a big fan of Japanese food), I won’t complain as I would already have had my fill of rice back in Kuala Lumpur.

See, I have it all planned out. That’s how much I’m looking forward to for the week.

Based on my first full marathon last year, I don’t foresee myself craving certain foods after the race. I reckon I would be too tired and sticky to comfortably sit down and enjoy a plate of nasi goreng kampung.

And since I would only reach the finishing line at about 3pm, I figure I would hit the sack early, perhaps even before dinnertime.

CRAVINGs
But what worries me is the cravings I could experience on the day after the race.

Usually after each run, I would treat myself to McDonald’s spicy fried chicken and roti canai banjir. I guess that would have to wait till I touchdown on Malaysian soil on Wednesday evening. Well, I may even head straight for McDonald’s at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

And I would have roti canai banjir for breakfast the next day. Looks like everything has been thought out.

After these treats, I will go back to my diet of less carb, more protein (fish or chicken with two servings of vegetables and lots of fruit). This will continue till the next carb-loading comes knocking.

I’ve not lost a lot of weight after seven weeks of training with Hoesni. So yes, desperate situations require desperate measures.

I braved myself to follow a strict three-day diet programme a friend suggested some 10 years ago. I tried it once and managed to lose almost 5kg, but I was way heavier then. So I thought, why not give it a try this time round.

DO THE DIET
You see, I don’t like this diet programme as it requires me to consume things that I don’t fancy – cottage cheese and beetroot. It suggests having three meals a day, but the meals are small, except for dinner which is two types of vegetables, a portion of protein (tuna, cold meat or frankfurter), ice-cream and fruit.

So yes, it was a struggle having to settle for five pieces of cheese crackers and a tub of cottage cheese while my friends enjoyed the delicious goodies at the food court. But I survived the course.

This morning, I stepped on the weighing scale and it showed a beautiful number – I had lost almost 3kg! OK, it’s not 5kg, but it’s better than what I achieved early this month.

This morning was also my last workout session with Hoesni. He promised me that it would be an easy, total body workout. And he kept his promise!

Yesterday, he asked me to run for an hour and told me that I only needed to run 5km tomorrow and the day after. For the first time, I felt Hoesni was not being mean to me. Perhaps, it was his way of showing his compassion as I would be finishing what both of us started eight weeks ago, alone.

Now that my mind is back to the run, am I worried and nervous? Hell, yeah!

The writer is leaving for Japan on Thursday to take part in the 42km Tokyo Marathon on Sunday. Wish her luck!


Last-minute tips
Professional marathoner M. Thanasekaran suggests:

• Cut down on red meat. Eat more fish, fruit and vegetables.

• Drink plenty of water.

• Do light jogs on Friday and Saturday to get the body acclimatise to the weather.

• Wake up at least two hours before the race.

• Take two bananas two hours before the race.

• Take a sachet of power gel about 20 minutes before the race.

• Do basic stretching and warm-up exercises before the race.

• Take a sachet of power gel for every 10km.

• Do basic stretching and cool-down exercises after the race.

• Take one banana and drink plenty of water after the race.


Check out weight loss tips at :
http://www.101moneyonlinesecrets.com/WeightLoss

http://589b63ugg5fz7rajxcrlyk1qev.hop.clickbank.net/

http://d881e8x295c-ek63kaycxm2v0w.hop.clickbank.net/

http://1db2740dlzc43r1w9n1ej3q22k.hop.clickbank.net/