Survived the holidays with food allergies







(Shutterstock image)

Having dinner with others is always an adventure, especially if you have food allergies. Anytime we have a family dinner or eat out at a restaurant, we have to watch for tree nuts and seafood.

I was at a conference for work last week, and the featured lunch item was salmon. Most places will have chicken as an option, but I had to call and double check just to be sure. When I saw all the plates of grilled salmon the other people were eating, I was a little nervous and asked if they cooked the chicken on a separate grill. The employees there assured me that the chicken was cooked first, then they grilled the salmon.

You can never be too careful, every kitchen is different. And it doesn't hurt to ask how they prepare the food. It CAN hurt if you don't ask (anaphylaxis anyone?!) Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction that causes your whole body to react. These are symptoms of anaphylaxis from Webmd's website:


  • Difficulty breathing or wheezing
  • Tightness in the throat or a feeling that the airways are closing
  • Hoarseness or trouble speaking
  • Nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting
  • Fast heartbeat or pulse
  • Skin that itches, tingles, swells, or turns red 
  • Anxiety or dizziness
  • Loss of consciousness
The Webmd website recommends getting medical help-FAST!!  They have more steps listed on how to treat anaphylaxis. To learn more,  click here.

And if you have food allergies, keep checking your food and asking questions. I've seen one of my teenagers have anaphylaxis, and I never want to see that again for as long as I live. It's a scary experience, but thankfully he did live through it.