Tip#4 roller shades in bedrooms


Tip #4 - Roller shades in bedrooms

This may not be for everyone, but it's something that seems to help our family with asthma. They're simple and functional, and when they roll up, there's no where for dust to settle.

The problem with having beautiful plantation shutters or 2" wood blinds, is that the horizontal surface is an unbelievable dust magnet. I don't know about you, but my weekend to-d0 list doesn't include 'spend 3 hours cleaning all the blinds in the house'.

I do have 2" wood blinds in my kitchen, but they came with the house. It's a little different having them in the kitchen versus having them in a bedroom and sleeping directly underneath them.

The roller shades are quick to wipe down, and it's easy to wash the windows too because the blinds roll up most of the way.

There are different options for roller shades. Some people adorn them with striped fabric, old maps, etc. I sewed pom pom fringe on the bottom of Kitty's blinds. As long as they can still roll up, I say let your imagination run wild.

I think it's fairly obvious to use roller shades in bedrooms when dealing with allergies and asthma. I am surprised by how many people have never thought of all the dust building up on horizontal blinds. Take a peek at yours and run your finger along the slat, see what you find. As an Interior Designer, I pick apart every nuance of my house, looking for cleaner and better options as far as furnishings and decorating. I'll continue to share any little tidbits I have found along our journey.

Keep checking back!